The Stamp Showcase

Foreign Stamps

    I learnt the art of Stamp Collecting rather slowly. I had a fairly good number of Indian Stamps in my collection so I wanted to shift to collecting stamps of other countries. As I have mentioned in my previous post trading was a major source of my collection. I bought some stamps from the post office and other sources and traded it for different variety of stamps.

As a result of this mindless trading I ended up with a good number of stamps. In this blog I will showcase my collection.

Let us start with our neighbors. The stamps of Asian countries like Kuwait, UAE, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Japan, Nepal, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.


Stamps of Afghanistan, UAE, Kuwait, Japan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Combodia and Nepal
Asian Countries

 As you can notice stamps of some of the countries carry official name different from the English version used in common usage. Japanese Stamps carry the official name 'Nippon'. Nippon in kanji refers to Japan. Similarly Combodia stamp has the marking 'Royaume Du Cambodge' which translates to kingdom of Combodia.


Stamps of Nigeria, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Chad, Belgian Congo, Uganda, Tanzania and Benin
African Countries

Chad , a country in Africa has released stamps on Mahatma Gandhi in the year 1999. Although I had read about Gandhi's civil rights activism in South Africa I never knew his impact and popularity in a remote African nation like Chad. I came to know of countries like Burkina Faso and Benin only after I got these stamps. It is getting to be more of a geography/history lesson now, right ?


Stamps of the United Kingdom
The United Kingdom


Here is an interesting fact, The United Kingdom Stamps carry no name. UK remains the only country to omit name from their stamps as is evident from the picture above. Another one, The United Kingdom  invented the concept of postage stamps (Invention).


Stamps of USA, Canada, USSR, Australia and New Zealand
Stamps of USA, Canada, USSR, Australia and New Zealand


Stamps of former Soviet Union bears the name 'Noyta CCCP' where CCCP is a Russian abbreviation for Soviet Union.


Stamps of South American Nations
South American Nations


Nicargua is a Central American Country.


Stamps of European Union Countries
European Union Countries


Most of the European union country stamps are hard to recognize because they are referred by their official names. Switzerland stamps are printed as Helvetia, German Stamps as Deutsche Bundespost, Spanish as Espana, Austrian as Republik Osterreich, Hungary stamps as Magyar Posta, Polish stamps as Polska and so on.



Stamps of Vietnam, Indonesia, Germany, New Zealand, Espana(Spain), Switzerland, Hungary
Vietnam, Indonesia, Germany, New Zealand, Espana(Spain), Switzerland, Hungary


Signing off with an attempt to create my name using stamps from my collection. Taking first letters from Vietnam, Indonesia, Germany, New Zealand, Espana(Spain), Switzerland, Hungary gives 'VIGNESH', that's my name!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anthem By Ayn Rand

The Amateur Photographer

The Stamp Collector